Work day and night – Agbodza tells Tema Roundabout–Tetteh Quarshie Interchange contractor

The Minister for Roads and Highways, Governs Kwame Agbodza, has urged the contractor working on the 19.5-kilometre Tema Roundabout–Tetteh Quarshie Interchange project, Maripoma Enterprise Limited, to intensify work by operating day and night to ensure the project is completed on schedule.
The directive is aimed at accelerating construction and keeping the project on track, as the project is currently slightly behind schedule.
Speaking during a tour of road projects in the Greater Accra Region on Wednesday, August 19, Mr Agbodza urged the contractor to take advantage of the government’s 24-hour economy policy by carrying out disruptive construction activities at night.
He advised the contractor to scale down disruptive activities during the day and provide dedicated lanes for motorists to use.
“A project like this, elsewhere, will be done 24/7. There’s no reason why you cannot work even more at night than the day,” he said.
“I’m encouraging you to take advantage of the President’s 24-hour economy to do more of the disruptive works at night and rather scale down during the day and make certain or dedicated lanes available for the public to use during the day,” he added.
Mr Agbodza commended Maripoma Enterprise Limited for the progress made since his previous visit, noting that activity on the site had increased.
“We want to thank you for what you have done so far. It appears you have done about 10% extra work since we were here the last time,” he said.

He also commended the contractor for completing the main bridge without any incident involving the public, despite the busy nature of the intersection.
“My fear actually has always been the risk to the public, because it’s an intersection that is in use 24-7. And you actually completed it ahead of schedule and without any incident to the public. So I commend you for that,” he said.
Mr Agbodza, however, urged the contractor to further increase the pace of work to meet the project deadline.
“We are hopeful that we can still complete this on schedule. Because the motoring public can’t understand why they have to go through this for that long period. So please, endeavour to make sure that we meet the target,” he said.

He said about 50 per cent of the project had been completed, adding that the remaining pavement works could progress more quickly once the difficult foundation works were completed.
The project engineer, Ing. Kwabena Bempong, confirmed that the project was approximately 50 per cent complete and expressed confidence that the remaining works would be completed within the agreed timeline.